I think we need a tag for small, hotshoe mountable flashes. You could then tag your question with [flash] for questions that could also include other kinds of flash - I'm thinking things like Alien Bees etc. here - and additionally [speedlight] (or whatever) for a question related specifically to small strobes (if you were short of tags you could drop the [flash] tag???). As per normal you could add a [canon]/[nikon]/[whoever] tag if your question was brand specific.

I suggest either [speedlight] or [speedlite], the latter being the Canon spelling. Personally, I'd go with the [speedlight], despite being a Canon user, but I'm open to any suggestions to cover hotshoe-mountable flashes.


How about [flashgun]?

The other option I could think possibly isn't as intuitive, but [hotshoe-flash] (and then the consistent [studio-flash] and [(on)camera-flash]) - this allows people to have [*flash] as an interesting/ignored tag, but I'm not sure people would discover them as easily...

  • I like the [*flash] approach. After all hotshoe-flash and studio-flash are potentially quite different topics. – Fredrik Mörk Jul 22 '10 at 12:55
  • I like the idea behind that, but [hotshoe-flash] and [on-camera-flash] seem clumsy and unnatural, and it's kind of forced so it fits the pattern. I certainly expect [studio-flash] to become a tag, though. – Edd Jul 22 '10 at 14:03
  • What about [small-flash], then? – che Jul 22 '10 at 15:58

I think that most brand-agnostic question about using small flashes apply similarly to studio units (they work the same way after all), so tagging them with [flash] seems ok to me.

  • For some things, such as light modifiers, there is a difference. There are plenty of softboxes, for example, that have mounts for hot-shoe flashes, and the vast majority of standard softboxes wouldn't fit a speedlight. Conversely, AFAIK, the Honl strap won't fit studio flashes. – Edd Jul 22 '10 at 13:13
  • True, that topic would benefit from a specific tag. – che Jul 22 '10 at 16:00

I vote [speedlight]. That seems to be the general term I see for hot shoe flashes on the Net, and I don't automatically think "Nikon" when I see it, even though I shoot Canon.

  • I'm also a Canon user, and I presumed we'd go for [speedlight] when I asked the question. I'll leave it open for a few more days, but it seems we're either going to settle for [speedlight] or [small-flash] (or similar). – Edd Jul 23 '10 at 15:38

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .