Equipment recommendation questions
Increasingly we are seeing questions which are product or manufacturer related, for example, how or should I upgrade such and such camera.
Should we be dealing with such questions on this site?
I have three points to make:
1) Forums, like DPReview, with their lively debates, are a better place to answer current questions about product selections and upgrades.
2) These questions have no enduring value. Within 6-12 months they are irrelevant and become just pollution in the system.
3) The answers must necessarily be very subjective since they depend so much on particular circumstances and needs.
I think the tests here are to ask
1) Does the question have enduring value that contributes to the body of photographic knowledge?
2) Does the answer depend largely on the users circumstances and needs?