I noticed there are tags for and . The latter obviously refers to the film format, and many, if not most, of the questions tagged with 35mm are to do with 35mm focal length lenses.

I created a tag wiki for 35mm to clarify it was for lens questions (I assume it is anyway), and was going to move a few 35mm film questions tagged with to . There are a few more than I thought, and now I wonder if this is pointless?

Could also rename 35mm to 35mm-lens I suppose. Is it a waste of time trying to adjust these things, or worse, am I going to cause any problems doing it?

Edit: having thought about it, I do think changing 35mm to would be good. When people tag questions they'd see 35mm-lens and 35mm-film and could make an informed choice, and it would help in searching to have two clear tags.

If that's agreeable, is it possible to rename/migrate a tag?? I don't want to create 35mm-lens and then move a bunch of questions over - could mess up all sorts of favorites, badges, etc.

2 Answers 2


Sounds good. You can basically just do it, by retaggging. The two downsides are:

  1. A lot of work for you
  2. A lot of churn on the front page.

#1 I don't care about either way. :) With #2, I try to go back and look at newer questions which were pushed down by any such activity and add a new answer or make a constructive edit, so they're not penalized in visibility by the housekeeping.

A mod would then need to make 35mm an alias of 35mm-lens, which sounds reasonable to me given the rationale you've given.

  • If 35mm is made an alias (synonym?) of 35mm-lens, then can new questions still be tagged with either? Or does 35mm become sort of inactive?
    – MikeW Mod
    Feb 10, 2013 at 23:40
  • The would mean that when someone uses 35mm, it is automatically remapped to 35mm-lens. Then, someone theoretically will notice that and fix it if that's not what was meant. (There may also be a way to kill tags completely, but I'm not aware of it.)
    – mattdm
    Feb 10, 2013 at 23:47
  • Thanks. I'll have a look at how many of each tag exist and see if it's worth doing after all. Won't do a big bulk update.
    – MikeW Mod
    Feb 11, 2013 at 0:44
  • Might also be worth renaming 50mm to 50mm-lens. *shrug*
    – mattdm
    Feb 11, 2013 at 2:09
  • There are plenty more. filter is used for lens filters and PP effects, i.e. photoshop plugins...
    – MikeW Mod
    Feb 11, 2013 at 2:33

Do we really need a tag for ? (or any other prime length?)

What could be asked that would require specific knowledge of that focal length, that wouldn't apply to others? I'd have thought it would be better to de-tag those that aren't about film photography, and merge the two tags as synonyms (obviously after updating the tag wiki accordingly)

  • 1
    maybe retag with [lens] [wide-angle] or something? Sounds a better idea actually.
    – MikeW Mod
    Feb 11, 2013 at 9:13
  • Well, they're wide angle lenses in some questions and normal lenses in others....
    – mattdm
    Feb 11, 2013 at 12:32
  • There were three questions that referred to the focal length, and many more referring to the film format, so have merged 35mm-film and 35mm Feb 11, 2013 at 12:36

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .