A lot of times while reading through questions and answers on the site, I have time and again wished there were pictures in the answers to illustrate the idea. As an amateur photographer that spends a lot of time here at PhotoSE absorbing the goodness, here are some key benefits (and I am sure it can form a long list!) of including pictures in questions/answers:
- Pictures makes comprehension of a key concept elegantly easy.
- It will take less writeup and hence time on the part of the answer provider is cut down to answer other interesting questions.
- For lot of amateurs who are not aware of the technology and the details of the hardware or the mechanism involved, it would be a great learning experience if an answer came in the form of a picture ready to practice and compare against.
- The "EXIF data" associated with the picture would be a boon for many.
- As the site grows, there are and will (I think) be a whole bunch of non-native english speakers joining the forum who might not have the dexterity to understand a great answer in English but whose comprehension could be greatly enhanced with the inclusion of a picture.
- And yes, because we are a photography Q and A site in the first place!
And hence I was wondering if we could:
Mention that pictures would a be great addition in Q/A in FAQ section for everyone to see.
Moderators/commentators reminding it in questions, answers as they appear or when passing comments, wherever they see fit.
Implement some AJAX magic so that the reminder about benefits of uploading a picture pops up when the poster is composing the message.
[Having said that, please note that I am aware of but not focussed at the issues involved with uploading the pictures which has been very nicely dealt with here - Why do so many questions lack images?. I am just saying that it probably is a good idea that we should encourage more pictures anyway and the few quick and easy steps we could implement to make it happen.]