Announcing the new Photo Contest! Rather than maintain a long ongoing contest in Meta as was done for nearly a decade, we have shifted to periodic themed contests over on the main site.
Submit a photo to the current contest on Main. Do not post submissions to this Meta post.
The old Weekly Featured Image Contest has been shut down. After running for nearly a decade, it produced tons of great submissions that were featured on the main site every week. Thanks to everybody who submitted and/or voted on photos over the years in that contest.
The new contest is intended to reward submitters more immediately, as the contest submission and voting is more periodic. Rather than a single long-ongoing contest, new contests are limited in time (and possibly theme) to encourage and reward recent posters.
Initially, the new contest is envisioned to run approximately every 2 weeks, ending on a Monday at 12:01 AM UTC (midnight between Sunday and Monday, UTC). At that time, the winning submission will be accepted on the contest page, posted in the Photo of the Week sidebar and in the Hall of Fame. The 2nd-highest voted submission will be featured in the PotW sidebar and Hall of Fame the subsequent week.
Contest themes will be selected from the highest-voted idea at the Photo of the Week Theme Ideas thread.
General contest rules (the same for each contest)
The rules below will be stated in each weekly/bi-weekly/monthly contest; they are quoted here for reference.
- View the submissions [sorted by active] to give every submitter a fair chance
- Vote up as many images as you like
- Please, up votes only! Do NOT vote down your competitors! If you don't like an image, don't vote
- Voting closes on [date, usually a Monday] at 12:01 AM UTC (00:01 UTC if you prefer a 24-hour time). The winner will be chosen based on votes at that time.
- One photo submission per answer. Up to three (3) entries allowed.
- Post only photos taken by yourself or the person with you.
- All entries should include:
- a title for the photo
- a location and date, if known
- camera, lens, and exposure settings, if known
- any other explanatory notes, comments, etc., that you want to include (completely optional)
- The submitted image must conform to this site's content license, >Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 (CC BY-SA 4.0) with attribution required.
- Do not use this as a forum for photo critique. Use chat instead, or ask a new question about your image.
The highest-voted theme will be the next theme.