I'm interested in answering questions that relate to "how do I achieve this effect?", but I don't see a tag for that type of question. Is there one?


3 Answers 3


I think the closest we have is . Tag summary is:

Analysis of an image to determine setup and techniques that could be used to achieve certain properties of the image.


  • not obvious to non-geeks
  • has a hardware implication (despite the tag description)

Just is pretty common in practice, even though that's kind of terrible.


A lot of the questions we get - unfortunately many of them too broad & are soon closed - tend to start with the assumption that everything is a 'filter' as in a Snapchat/Instagram filter.


This one is actually looking for equivalents to Snapchat filters - How can I recreate Snapchat's built-in filter effects?

As mattdm has already mentioned, these would tend to be back-tagged with or

Maybe we should have a tag, perhaps linked back to ?
There's also (which feels odd to me, as I've always known it as post-production rather than processing.)

Personally, I like these types of challenge, if the question or examples are sufficiently well-honed to know precisely what 'effect' is being asked about.

Link to How should we handle the "what (Instagram) filter is makes this photo" type questions? for the current state of play on some of these questions.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Interesting suggestion re: 'whats-this-effect' tag. While I admit that I kinda like it (or something like it), I think we should be careful about exactly what kind of questions we're interested in encouraging (to the point of giving them their own tag category). Are we interested in attracting, encouraging, or curating "What's this effect, i.e., what filter do I use in [App X] to look like [celebrity Y]?" Or are we interested more in questions like "What adjustments in [App A] can I use to simulate this [effect B]?" The latter seem like interesting RE challenges. But the former... meh. \$\endgroup\$
    – scottbb Mod
    Oct 22, 2018 at 20:25

Why not simply have a photo-style tag? Or simply style?

  • \$\begingroup\$ We already do have style, and it's kind of a mess. \$\endgroup\$
    – mattdm
    Oct 23, 2018 at 17:53
  • \$\begingroup\$ Eesh, yeah....it is a mess... \$\endgroup\$
    – jrista
    Oct 24, 2018 at 6:21
  • \$\begingroup\$ "Photo Style" is also very close to "Picture Style", a specific terminology used by Canon. \$\endgroup\$
    – Michael C
    Oct 26, 2018 at 6:26

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .